The Twenty Eleven theme for WordPress is sophisticated, lightweight, and adaptable a perfect theme to create a child theme from. My Twenty Eleven child theme have some tweaks to suit my needs.
- Apple style HTML5 box gradients
- Sidebar on single posts and pages
Why create a Twenty Eleven Child Theme?
With just a little customization you can create a unique appearance, and you will have a theme that will stay current as it will be maintained for quite some time. Other free or paid themes run the risk of becoming orphans and breaking as WordPress evolves, breaking themes that don’t keep up with the times.
- A child theme is the safest and easiest way to modify an existing theme, whether you want to make a few tiny changes or extensive changes.
- Instead of modifying the theme files directly, you can create a child theme.
- A child theme inherits all of the templates and functionality from its parent theme, but allows you to make changes to the parent theme because code in the child theme overwrites code in the parent theme.
- If you modify an existing theme and it is updated, your changes will be lost. With a child theme, you can update the parent theme (which might be important for security or functionality) and still keep your changes.
If there is something you like, you are more then welcome to download my Twenty Eleven child theme including images needed for the tweak here.
I use Firebug (for firefox) to tweak CSS. Tweaks has been tested with Chrome (Version 28), Safari (Version 6.0.5) and Firefox (Version 22) on OS X and mobile devices iPhone/iPad.